1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October is Spina Bifida Awareness Month

I have seen so many wonderful spina bifida awareness pictures on Facebook since the beginning of October. I love them! One of the facts that I have seen posted several times is that 64% of pregnancies with a spina bifida babe end in abortion. That is a horrifying number!
Rachel and I getting ready to go down the slide together. I am not sure which one of us has more fun on the slides. Yes- I admit we were at McDonald's again. Truthfully she gets an amazing workout crawling through the tunnels and she is so motivated to go while we are there. (and no I still have not had any french fries yet this year) We were blessed to have met a nice young man (I am guessing 3-4 years old) that would take Rachel's hand and try to help her up over the tough spots. He never questioned why she needed help- he could just see that she did and he stepped up to help her  without being asked to. What a little gentleman! I stopped to compliment this young man to his mom and grandma. It turns out they have a member of their family affected by spina bifida too. Trey (I hope I have the spelling correct) has spina bifida starting at the L2 level of his spine. His grandma is very proud of him and told me wonderful and inspiring things about Trey.  He maybe surprised to know that this was the second person to have mentioned him to our family. My sister-in-law told me about a  wonderful athlete from West Bend High School with spina bifida when we had  just found out Rachel had spina bifida. I have tears in my eyes as I write this- I hope one day he will know how he inspired my family and gave us hope.

 I have started working on Rachel's pirate costume. I had to get creative with eye patch. I couldn't make a skull shape for the front of it no matter how hard I tried. I improvised with a pink heart instead. I will write up a tutorial on how I made it soon. Very easy and the length of the ribbon can adjust to fit those bigger spina bifida/hydrocephalus heads if needed.
I also made Rachel a felt sword. The pattern is from http://gracesfavours.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/how-to-make-diy-pirate-sword-tutorial.html I love this pattern! There are a lot of pictures that help make the project go smoothly.

Rachel walking around at Breanne's track meet. She has started cheering. "Go Girls Go!"
She got her walker stuck in a tree root.
Rachel troubleshooting the situation. She pulled all the leaves away from her walker wheel and got it out herself.
My parents stopped by and dropped off our annual 50lb bag of potatoes from Crystal Falls MI. There were just harvested and are the best potatoes ever. Our family looks forward to these potatoes each fall. Thank you mom and dad!While my parents were visiting- my dad told me an awesome story. I have requested to receive pictures of his story that I can post here. Working with another friend up in the backwoods of Northern Wisconsin, my dad and his friend cleared away about 400 trees to make a path and an opening in the woods. They then built a ramp and wheelchair accessible tree stand for hunting. They did all of this work so a friend of theirs could enjoy hunting again. Their friend is paralyzed from a fall off of a roof and uses a motorized wheelchair. My dad said they also added a wench system to ramp in case there would be any problems with the wheelchair. My dad said their friend cried at being able to go out and enjoy hunting again.  I say a huge round of applause to these gentlemen! And to Jerry- I hope you get the biggest bad-assed buck out there! I look forward to seeing the hunting pictures.
Rachel kicking it up at the library. Her first trip to the children's section and she did not want to leave. She pushed around a little chair to get around since we didn't have her walker with.
Future nurse or doctor? She loves to use my stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and thermometer. I will have to teach her how to use the pulse ox and she will be ready to go to work. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment